Switching from Android to iOS – Good Information to Know
140When switching from an Android phone or tablet to an iOS phone or tablet, there are a few pieces of information to consider to ensure the process runs smoothly. If done incorrectly, it can result in loss of data. Both operating systems are typically user friendly after a user spends some time with either platform. However, if you are familiar with using Android and are now switching to iOS, there are a few differences that are worth mentioning for the initial transfer when you are not quite familiar with this new operating system. This article will lay out a high-level overview on the types of data a user should transfer, how to transfer such data from Android to iOS, how to navigate the app Move to iOS during the move to iOS, and a brief overview of some differences between Android and iOS.
Transfer Your Stored InformationThe following types of information on a user's Android device should be considered as part of transferring it to iOS:
- any other saved documents or information that are not linked to a cloud service
How to Use the Apple's App for Android "Move to iOS"Another means for transferring content from an Android device to an iOS device is via an app entitled Move to iOS. It is available on the Google Play store. The description of this app provides an overview of how to use it for transferring content from an Android device to an iOS device. It is a good idea to also save a copy of the content currently on your Android device first. This ensures that there is a back-up should the app run into any issues during the transfer process. The app will also need a form of internet connection for both devices. Keep this in mind before transferring your content.
Android versus iOS - Some Differences Users May Want to Know as They Get Used to The New PlatformBelow is a high level overview of the differences between Android and an iOS iPhone:
- Operating Systems Android runs OS, the operating system developed by Google. The iPhone runs iOS, Apple's operating system. As a result, there may be different set-ups with music, mail, photos, and internet browsers. Most are not large differences, but may look different when the user is adjusting to the change.
- Manufacturers Android can run programs from many different companies. Devices running iOS, such as the iPhone or iPad, are limited to Apple supported programs.
- Apps As mentioned, some apps may not be available on Android that are available on iOS and vice versa. Additionally, there may be similar apps with a few minor changes. Typically, many of the apps have similar apps available on the other operating system. It may just take some research to find them.
- Security There are some differences in the security features implemented on Android as compared to iOS. When switching from Android to iOS, users should not assume that the security features are necessarily the same. It is important to understand the iOS security and set it up correctly. Read more: iPhone Privacy Settings